Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Bane of My Existence

We all have challenges that get in the way of our goals. Some might be huge, like a health problem or a sucky job or a bad relationship. Some might seem small, but over time make a huge difference in your life.

I have one that's bothered me for about a decade. Now that I work from home, this bane of my existence has risen to torment me anew. It is...

Sleeping!


My sleeping habits have always been chaotic, to put it lightly. Sure, I've had nights where I lay awake for hours, same as everyone else. I've also had nights where I sleep twelve hours at a time, and nights when I don't sleep at all. Once in college, I got so little sleep for so long that when I tried to introduce myself to someone, I burst into tears because I couldn't form a coherent sentence. Boy, was that embarrassing.

Once I had to explain to my boss that I slept through work. She said I should have come in when I woke up even if I was late, and I had to explain that I literally slept through work. As in work was over by the time I woke up.

I'll never forget the time I stayed awake for 36 hours without feeling tired. I spent the whole night watching "Friends" reruns and eating chicken pot pie, then went to school feeling perfectly alert and rested.

Am I a crazy person?

It was easier to keep my sleeping habits in check when I had to wake up for work at 6:30 am, but now, I have complete freedom. I can rationalize that it's okay to sleep in until eleven if I stayed awake until three in the morning the night before. Then when Andrew gets home, I scratch my head wondering why I didn't get much done that day, only to realize I lost four hours of my morning to sleep!

*head-desk, head-desk, head-desk.*

If any of you have advice on how to deal with my little issue, I'm all ears.

What about you? What's the bane of your existence?

5 comments:

  1. Sleep is not the bane of my existence. I wish I had some advice, but the bane of my existence is a necessary bane. My day job. No day job, no money. Not my cup of tea to allow bills to go unpaid. If I were able to afford to stay home and write all day, I would be very happy. Now, sleep could THEN became the bane of my existence :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, sleep. My sleeping patterns aren't nearly as bad as yours - though I do have an unusual amount of nights where I can't fall asleep at all, no matter how hard I try, or where I sleep for an hour, wake up for another few hours, then fall asleep again... I usually just take it as it comes, especially during summer when I have no school. Exhaustion is easy to push through when I concentrate on a regular routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was awake last night in the middle of the night for about two hours. That's not so bad, I've had a lot worse sleepless nights. Just about every woman I know has sleep problems. Mine have gotten better the last couple of years. Advice? No caffeine, turn off the television, in bed by 9 or 10, and keep a regular schedule. Exercise helps, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if all creative people have sleep issues. I've had them since I was a teenager. Having a child forces me to regulate myself somewhat, but it still sucks. I have all sorts of rituals and crutches to help me sleep and have tried just about everything (short of an Ambien prescription). Sigh. I get tired of always being tired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to sleep, but in my case I could go to bed at 9pm and still sleep til 11am. On the other hand, I always have problems sleeping on a Saturday night when I work on Sunday and have to get up at 6.30am - unlike you, I do not feel fine, and I look even worse!

    I use the time to imagine scenes from my WIP, rewriting them in my head, but trying to resist the temptation to turn on the light and start actually writing.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...