Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Join my Wake Up Early Challenge

I'm sick and tired of sleeping in. It boggles my mind that this is so difficult. You'd think my alarm would go off, I would recognize that pressing the snooze will make me unhappy, and pop out of bed. But no. The snooze is pressed repeatedly.

Why do we do things that we know make us unhappy?

Clearly I can't handle this issue on my own, so I want to build a support network. I'm not sure how I want it to work. It would depend on how many people join and what they want to do.

If you're interested in pursuing this idea further, either leave your email address below in the comments, or if you're uncomfortable making you address public, send an email to teralynpilgrim at yahoo dot com.

I have a few ideas of how this could go. If you have any feedback or other ideas to share, I'd love to hear it.

  1. It could be just a 30-day challenge that I could do either once or monthly. It only takes 28 days to build a habit!
  2. We could separate into partners, like with Alcoholics Anonymous, and be accountable to only our partners.
  3. If we had partners, the first person to wake up calls the other.
  4. We have a forum where we discuss our progress as well as helpful ideas.
  5. We each pledge gifts to whoever meets their goal (used books, homemade items, online promotion).
  6. We have a public graph everyone can see, kind of like NaNoWriMo.

8 comments:

  1. I put my alarm clock in the room across the hall so I'm forced to get up and turn it off. Hitting the snooze button isn't as attractive an option if you have to stomp across the hall to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to wake up early for school - 5:45 to 6:00 - and it sucks. I mean, it's a useful thing, with the extra time, but it's so hard. I don't even bother setting my alarm: I wake up when my family does, because they make too much noise to keep me in bed. (I can't sleep with too much light or sound. It gives me a headache/forces me out of bed.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a seven month old baby who makes sure I wake up at 5:30 every morning...or sometimes even 4:45. Trouble is, I don't exactly get any early morning writing done even though I'm up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm.... you are so not alone. I just *can't* get up in the mornings. I will hit the snooze button about 3-4 times during the week, which sucks because it doesn't help how I feel when I get to work. And then on the weekends? Forget it! If I try to get up early to get some writing and editing done, I eventually turn off the snooze, roll over, then wake up really, really late.

    Let me know how the interest goes for this! I'm interesting in getting some tips and stuff like that. I can't put my alarm clock in another part of the house because then I'd end up waking up my neighbors (in a duplex). My email: melindacollins82@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd join you but I don't live in the States and I don't think you'd appreciate a call from me at 3 in the morning LOL. But this is a fabulous idea - and your little pictures is really me in the mornings. I can't get up. I'd love to know if this works - and if you have any other techniques for people like me who are in a different time zone. suemonteiro at yahoo dot co dot uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan and Melinda: Yay! I'll contact you two soon and we'll discuss options. Maybe I can get my mom to join, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I already get up pretty early because of school, though I was thinking about getting up a few minutes earlier starting next week so I'll have more time to write. This is a great idea, Teralyn, for people like you who write at home full time.

    I've given you an award: http://brookerbusse.blogspot.com/2012/09/paper-mountain-awards-behind-scenes.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh...what time is 'early'? ;-) I totally have this problem, lol but is getting to be not so funny....
    I am very interested in seeing what you come up with... :)

    ~Cara

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...