- Explorers Discover World's Largest Cave: One day I opened my blog and saw I had 3,560 hits. Wow. It took me a while to figure out someone had posted the picture I used on Reddit. I didn't get any new followers, and my blog stats went back to normal the next day.
- The Phantom of the Opera: The Book was Better than the Movie and The Old Tron was Better than the New Tron: These posts were only popular because I used pictures people searched for through Google. I eventually got so sick of those image searches messing up my stats that I deleted the pictures.
- How to Tell if Your Ass is Too Small: The title was irresistible.
- How to Get Blog Followers: This is a perfect example of SEO: Search Engine Optimization. People enter "how to get blog followers" in search engines like Google, and this article pops right up.
- My Favorite Reproduction of Vesta's Temple: This was popular both because of image searches and SEO. If someone wants to learn more about the temple of Vesta or see a picture of it, they run a search and find my blog.
- CONTEST: Design Your Book Cover: I hosted a pretty successful contest where people designed their book covers and voted on the best one. I had 38 entries and hundreds of votes.
- Why I Hate Foreshadowing: Again, this was popular because people entered "foreshadowing" into search engines.
At the same time, there were articles that got popular just because I did my job well, such as Describing Emotions, Author's Notes that Ruin a Novel, and A List to Focus on While Line Editing. Those articles were popular because the subject matter was relevant, the titles were descriptive, and the posts were interesting.
But! Even though those are good articles (if I do say so myself), I couldn't have made them successful on my own. All of them were retweeted, shared on Facebook, or mentioned on blogs.
Besides SEO and intriguing images, there are two things to take away from this - two "tricks" that, when all is said and done, will make your blog popular.
My Blogging Advice to You
- Write well.
- Make friends.