Friday, December 7, 2012

Books I Read Recently

Shockingly, I only read two books for fun since July! My goal to read 45 books this year was a dismal failure. I need to put away my research every now and then and pick up some novels.

Roots by Alex Haley

Alex Haley, an African American, compiled his genealogy all the way back to Africa and based his novel on his ancestors. The novel starts with the life of Kunta Kinte, who was captured and sold into America, and ends with Alex himself.

Roots took the world by storm for a good reason. It's a wonderful, comprehensive view of African American history. It felt a little textbook at times and I wish he had spent more time on the decedents of Kunta Kinte instead of spending so much time in Africa, but nevertheless, it was a fantastic read. I'm glad this book exists.

Matched by Ally Condie


Cassia has always trusted the Society to dictate her career, husband, activities, and even when she will die, until the Society makes a mistake that leads her to Ky, a boy she's not supposed to love.

This book is advertised as a cure for your Hunger Games withdrawal. The two series are very similar; YA, dystopia, love triangle, sacrificing everything to "take the Society down." Personally, I felt they were too similar for me to enjoy both of them.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, don't be too hard on yourself...life gets in the way of goals (often for the better). I've started and stopped MATCHED a few times. I think it could've used a faster beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My reading goal has also pretty much failed. I was aiming for 100 and am currently at 57. I'm hoping to at least get to 60 before it's too late.

    I enjoyed MATCHED and read its sequel. However, I'm not in that big of a hurry to read the last book in the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ...
    I am just browsing blogs and came accross yours, and would love to say you have a beautiful blog here.
    Following too :)

    ((((hugs))))

    http://bookshelvesofdreams.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...