Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Recreation of the Vestal Virgin Hairstyle

I found an amazing video where hairstylist Janet Stephens recreates the hairstyle of the Vestal Virgins. She recreates a lot of historical hairstyles, which you can see at her YouTube channel here. They're fantastic!


Her research shows that vestals did their hair completely differently from what I thought. I had read ancient texts that weren't incredibly thorough, whereas she analyzed statues. I have never seen a statue of a vestal in person, and no one ever takes photographs of the back of a statue's head, so I was at a distinct disadvantage.

I guess I'll have to go back and change a few things!

It's great that people are still making new discoveries about the Vestal Virgins. I just hope they stop after my book gets published. Perhaps that's not a very noble wish.

2 comments:

  1. I was going to send you this video! Glad you came across i t.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really an amazing video of hairstylist Janet Stephens. Janet Stephens is an amateur archaeologist and hairdresser who has reconstructed some of the hairstyles of ancient Rome.You can check her you tube page, http://www.youtube.com/user/jntvstp
    --------------------------------------------------
    www.enigmashairstudio.com | Watch Makeover Videos

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...