Thursday, March 14, 2013

Books I Read in January

Lily of the Nile by Stephanie Dray

When Selene's parents Cleopatra and Marc Anthony are killed and Egypt defeated by the Romans, she must struggle to retain her identity while living in the home of her parent's killers: the current Caesar.

I wish I had discovered this book a long time ago! Of all the books I've read that take place in the ancient world, this one is my favorite. Selene is a powerful character and her quest to regain Egypt keeps readers rooting for her all the way through. I'm glad it's a trilogy.


On Writing by Stephen King

I adore Stephen King's writing; his humor, his perspective, his storytelling. This is a great irony because I'm emotionally incapable of reading his books. (Pet Sematary still haunts me and I watched the edited version of The Green Mile -- the edited version, mind you -- and I haven't been the same since.) Ergo, On Writing was a real treat for me. I laughed out loud at his crazy stories from childhood and was fascinated by his quest toward being an author. My only complaint is that this book is quoted so often that I had already heard all his good writing advice.


Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly

An account of Kennedy's presidency ending with his assassination by the same author who wrote Killing Lincoln.

I don't really read non-fiction unless it's research-related and I wasn't super interested in JFK -- I just read this for a book group -- so it's hard for me to properly judge this book. It was thorough, detailed, and interesting, so I think anyone interested in the topic would enjoy it. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...