Friday, March 29, 2013

Not Blogging is Often a Good Sign


In the past, whenever I don't have anything to blog about, I get a sense of panic. "Surely it's a sign of a creative block," I'd think. The panic would soon affect my writing. Soon it would be accompanied by a sense of guilt, and thus begins a downward spiral.

I had a revelation today that explained why I've been blogging less and that, contrary to my previous belief, it might actually be a good thing.

It all goes back to my purpose for starting this blog. I'm the kind of person who wants to share everything I know with everyone. If I discover a great movie, website, or restaurant, my friends will surely hear about it multiple times. My blog is more or less to indulge that tendency; whenever I learn anything new about writing, I create an article so I can share that knowledge with my readers. It gets that itch to share out of my system.

I've noticed that whenever I go through a large change in my life, I don't blog as much. It's not surprising that the least I've ever blogged has been during my transition from a full-time employee at a bank to a write-at-home mother. This isn't because I'm busy or distracted.

It's because I'm learning. 

Any new experience will bring with it new lessons, and I can't share with readers the things I learned until I finish learning them.

This time in my life has been a whirlwind of learning. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to be productive while working from home. I'm querying Sacred Fire, which has been a pattern of trial and error mixed with a lot of waiting. I'm working on a rough draft, which has been a nightmare and caused a writer's block that I'm just now getting out of. And to top it off, I'm pregnant for the first time.

I have tons of ideas for articles that I'm just not ready to post yet. For instance, when you have an idea to add to your book that you know isn't good, should you pursue it anyway? How do you handle the disappointment when your book takes longer to get published than you planned? Should you force yourself to write when you don't feel like it? How do you juggle writing and parenting?

If I were to continue posting every day, my articles would read like this: "I'm still working on my rough draft. I'm still querying. I'm still pregnant." It would sound like I'm stuck in a miserable limbo, when really, I'm going through an important time in my life.

Someday soon you'll see articles about how I found my amazing agent, how I broke through and finished the best book I've written so far, how I handle writing at home with the new baby. Until then I'm still learning, and that's a good thing.

Still, perhaps I should push myself to post more often than I do. It would be good to see what happens when I get out of my comfort zone and get past my boundaries. (That would be another good blog article topic... once I've tried it and I'm ready to write about it.)

1 comment:

  1. There's a lot going on in your life right now, I'm not surprised blogging is taking a back seat. I've had about 4 years of being an almost full time writer, and I still haven't learnt the most productive way to write. I still find myself writing in the evenings, wasting my time on Facebook (gotta play Scrabble!) and sitting with a blank page. Good luck on figuring it all out :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...