Friday, June 7, 2013

Meal Rotation System: Breakfast for Dinner

This is Day 12 of the Meal Rotation System: a pattern of meal planning where you go down a list of meal groups each month, picking one from the group for each day, and rotate through the list when you're finished. Read more about how the Meal Rotation System works.

Dutch Baby, aka German Pancake

I LOVE breakfast food, but I never cook it in the mornings. When I first wake up I'm too tired and too hungry to put in any effort beyond pouring milk into a bowl of cereal. Ergo, it's fun every now and then have breakfast for dinner (or as some call it, "brinner.")

If you don't believe that I am truly an avid fan of breakfast, check out my Brunch Pinterest Board. I've pinned 71 recipes so far, and I'm just getting started!

Day 12 of my rotation is great not just because it's delicious, but because most breakfast food is quick and easy to make. It barely takes ten minutes to fry up some pancakes, waffles, french toast, bacon, sausage, or eggs, heat up ready-made biscuits, english muffins, or toast,  cook grits, cream of wheat, or oatmeal, cut up some fruit, or make a smoothie. 

Of course, you can always get fancy with foods that take longer to make, like cinnamon rolls, scones, fruit tarts, hash browns, breakfast casseroles, breakfast burritos, crepes, cobbler...

Need I continue?

If you need even more inspiration, here's a recipe for Dutch Babies (aka German Pancakes) with blueberry syrup, which was a classic in my family when I was a kid. It takes maybe 15 minutes to make. 

Dutch Babies, or German Pancakes

3 eggs
½ cup milk
1/3 cup flour
3 Tb sugar
½ tsp salt
butter


  1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees
  2. Combine all ingredients in a blender except butter
  3. Place 1 Tb butter in each pie pan that you use and place in oven until melted
  4. Pour batter in pan and bake in oven 10 minutes
  5. Pour syrup over (see syrup recipe below)
Blueberry Syrup

1 lb frozen blueberries
½ cup sugar
2 Tb lemon juice
cinnamon

  1. Heat all ingredients to boiling in a pan
  2. Cover with lid and remove from heat, let cool a little
  3. Liquefy in a blender
  4. Pour over pancakes

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't resist stopping by this post to check these "Dutch babies" out, too. ;) They look great. It's funny you mention that you love breakfast food but don't cook it in the mornings. I love scrambled eggs and tomatoes, but often eat that dish for dinner instead!

    ~Wendy Lu

    The Red Angel Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing I thought when I saw that photo was - Yorkshire Pudding.

    Although a quick internet search tells me that Dutch babies and Yorkshire Pudding are very similar - Yorkshires just don't have sugar or salt in them (unless you want to add them of course).

    Nom nom nom!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...