This meal is unlike anything else I've ever had, and it is amazing. It's one of those meals where all the flavors are in such perfect balance that you pretty much have to follow the recipe exactly. Usually I make enough leftovers of each dish to eat until we get sick of it, but my husband and I are always sad when there's not more italian sausages with bell peppers in the fridge.
Italian Sausage with Bell Peppers
1 pkg Italian sausage links
1 large onion
1 green bell pepper
1 red or yellow bell pepper
Salt and pepper
1 tbs tomato paste
2 tsp chopped garlic
½ cup marsala cooking wine
½ cup fresh basil
½ tsp oregano
1 can diced tomatoes
- Coat bottom of skillet with olive oil. Heat over medium.
- Add sausages. Brown on both sides, remove from pan and set aside.
- While its browning, thinly slice onion and peppers. After removing sausages from pan, add vegetables, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and sauté.
- When translucent, add tomato paste, and stir until paste is distributed evenly. Add garlic, wine, and basil. Simmer about 10 minutes.
- Add oregano and tomatoes, mix well. Slice sausages and add to pan. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Remove lid and cook down, about 10 minutes. Serve in bowl or on Italian rolls.