Monday, August 19, 2013

Never Plan, Never Procrastinate

I'm a planner. Big time. I like making long outlines before starting on my rough drafts. I like making goals for my day, my month, my year. After 27 years of this, I'm starting to wonder if planning can be a very bad thing.

When I first found out I was pregnant, I was still in the throes of the rough draft to Voodoo Queen. Being the planner I am, I made a rigorous schedule that would guarantee that the rough draft would be finished (including research) before the baby was born.

Little did I know that I would 1. Be too sick to write for a month and a half, and 2. Get so stuck on my book that I wouldn't know how to proceed. I look at my plan now and laugh, though it's a humorless laugh.

That's not to say it's impossible for my to finish by my goal. I'll never forget writing the rough draft of Fierce in 18 days. I still don't know how that happened. It was like some superhuman power came over me, a power I couldn't have predicted or planned for.

The point is, you can't make plans. Life will hit you with all kinds of obstacles, and in the meantime, you can never predict how well your muse will cooperate with you. 

When I truly understood the futility of planning, another lesson settled upon me: Never procrastinate. Anything can happen tomorrow, and since life is so unpredictable, it's important to milk today for all it's worth.

Don't plan for tomorrow; you don't know what tomorrow will be. Just make today as awesome as you can.

4 comments:

  1. Ref: "Don't plan for tomorrow; you don't know what tomorrow will be. Just make today as awesome as you can."

    That is very sage wisdom to impart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best laid plays of mice and men...and all that. Life does have a way of totally getting in our way. I remember when I had my hysterectomy -I thought I'd have six weeks of blissful recovery time, typing away in bed. Ha! Little did I know just how rough that recovery would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I do think that plans can help give us guidance, as long as we recognize they won't always happen perfectly. But I also agree that it's better to just do things now instead of later, since as you said, we don't know what tomorrow will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life happens. This I know. I think plans are fine, as long as you know they're likely to be subverted very easily!

    And...congrats, new mommy! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...