Friday, July 18, 2014

What Book Should Every Kid Study in School?

I love hearing what my readers have to say. It makes this blog feel more like a community. Starting now, I'm going to post questions for my readers to discuss.

Since this is my first time doing it, I'll start with something relatively simple.

In an interview with Sue Monk Kidd, someone asked what book she thinks every child should study in school. She said The Awakening. Since female liberation is a strong theme in all her work, I'm not surprised.

My pick is The Giver. Personally, I see a lot of value in youth reading Utopian and Dystopian literature (books about perfect and imperfect societies). It helps them stretch their minds past what they're used to and to view the world's many possibilities. I believe it makes them better voters and citizens when they can constructively think about ways to improve society.

That being said, I do NOT think The Hunger Games should be studied in school. Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic books for recreational reading, but they don't ask any hard questions. They help kids to enjoy reading. They don't teach them to think constructively.

What book do you think every child should study in school?

4 comments:

  1. I would recommend TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY by John Steinbeck. It is a non-fiction prose "snapshot" of America in 1960 by one of our greatest authors. He drove across all of America with his dog, Charley, seeing the country up close and persnoal, none recognizing him. It would stimulate discussions on how much America has and hasn't changed in 55 years, on race relations, on equality of the sexes, and what has been lost and gained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great choice! I haven't read that book, but I love John Steinbeck, so I'll have to give it a shot.

      Delete
  2. Oh Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. That man had a way of recording the harshness of life and even being a young teenager it really changed my life. Aside from the language, it's tame by some of the media that's out there now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just wondering that what kind of books a kid study in school; everybody knows that books and the way of studies are changing from generation to generation. Therefore we can get different types of books in schools and homes; here also we can get some good features on different kid books.
    daily deals on baby products

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...